Gummies Poisoning Has Tragic Outcome

Stephen Andrews
14 Apr 2022

A 23-year-old Ilford woman has died in east London after ingesting cannabis-laced sweet delivered to her home. The woman reportedly ordered synthetic gummies along with her friend, age 21, via a messaging app. The order arrived on March 29, after which each woman ate one sweet and immediately fell ill. Both women were hospitalised, but sadly, one of them did not recover and died on Saturday, April 2.

The 23-year-old victim of gummies poisoning purchased cannabis-laced edibles via a messaging app on her phone, according to the Metropolitan police. Her friend has been discharged from the hospital following treatment. The particular batch of sweets was contained in packaging featuring "Trrlli Peachie O's" branding. Police charged a 37-year-old man from South Norwood in relation to the case. 

The Met Police said the suspect was found with a large quantity of cash and a stash of edible cannabis products. The man has been detained and brought to court following the tragic event earlier this month. He has reportedly been charged with possession with intent to supply Class B synthetic cannabinoids, being concerned about supplying synthetic cannabinoids and possession with intent to supply a psychoactive substance. 

At least one other case might be linked with the Ilford woman case. According to reports, a woman fell sick in Tower Hamlets earlier in March after consuming cannabis sweet. She was hospitalised and later discharged. 

An investigation is underway to determine if the gummies were from the same batch involved in the Ilford death and to probe whether there are more victims in similar incidents. For that purpose, tests are being conducted on a number of sweets recovered by the police. 

Last year, two teenage boys were taken to hospital after eating sweets in Merseyside. Detectives in Greater Manchester warned parents to be alert when their children trick-or-treat around Halloween.

Stephen Andrews